Skip to main content

Article for publication: "The Deaf & Dumb & Blind", circa

 File — Container: MSS020.1, Folder: 1

Scope and Contents

From the Collection:

The collection contains one box of letters, articles, subscription papers, petitions, deeds, and a list of pupils. The collection, which consists of approximately 25 items, dated from 1856 to 1857.

Included in this collection, there is a folder which contains letters written between Amos Kendall and Platt H. Skinner, concerning Skinner who established the first school for the deaf and the blind which was located on G Street between 20th and 21st Streets NW in Washington, DC and also on the conditions of deaf pupils.

Kendall wrote several drafts of letters for publication and petition letters to the Congress and to the Government of the District of Columbia concerning the establishment of the Columbia Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb and the Blind.

Included in the collection contains a letter that Kendall wrote to the Board of Directors, offering a house and lot for the use of the school on his property at Kendall Green. A rough draft of deeds on Kendall Green property is included.

Dates

  • Other: circa

Extent

From the Collection: 0.25 Linear Feet (1 half-case)

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Repository Details

Part of the Gallaudet University Archives Repository

Contact:
800 Florida Avenue NE
JSAC 1255
Washington DC 20002 USA